About the programme
Fun as well as teaching discipline
Our foundation classes are suitable for ages seven and above. However, those students who achieve their Final Dragon belt are automatically transferred to the Foundation Taekwondo classes. At the foundation level, students exercise in a healthy environment. These classes are fun, teaching discipline and instilling the rules to show students how to follow instructions. Classes focus on the fundamentals of Taekwondo, and the techniques are broken down and explained in detail. Students also learn more about the sport in these hour-long sessions. They will learn basic moves, but no contact is made. These classes are fundamental as they help build the student’s confidence and make them feel less shy during classes. The lessons mainly consist of pad work and basic kicks. At the foundation level, kids will be encouraged to try our feeders’ session, which is the beginning of joining our elite team.
More about foundation class
A typical lesson would consist of a fun warm-up with stamina and strength-building exercises and would also include a game. After this, would be a basic stretch to prepare the muscles for kicking and then the students will learn how to execute a proper technique. This is all then practiced on pads held by the instructors and assistants. Proper hand techniques are also taught in these sessions which are required to pass grading at a satisfactory level. Each student would start with either a white belt (new to Taekwondo) or a yellow tag (graduated from Lil’ Dragons). They will learn pattern or Poomsae, basic kicks, basic hand and stance techniques and will build strength to break boards. These are all requirements to pass a KUP Grading to gain their next belt. Belt order for Foundation Taekwondo is white belt, yellow tag, yellow belt, green tag. When the student gains their green belt, they graduate into the Advanced Session. Foundation is all about preparation of the basic building blocks to then advance onto a higher technical level.
Benefits and Gains
Taekwondo also helps to temper children’s character. Those with high energy levels become more aware of their body and surroundings. Even the timidest and introverted children will gain confidence, self-esteem and initiative.
- Improves muscle strength, as well as cardiovascular endurance.
- Increases elasticity, agility and flexibility.
- Helps develop coordination and balance capabilities.
- Provides control and knowledge of one’s body. Since this is achieved through basic movements but on a highly technical level, it will prepare them for future activities of greater difficulty.
Psychological and social benefits
- It promotes concentration and discipline.
- By mastering their body, they gain self-esteem and self-confidence. In addition, they will learn to interact with their environment more effectively.
- Important values such as honesty, loyalty, camaraderie, teamwork, respect and humility are fostered.
- It’s an opportunity to foster cultural learning. Through taekwondo, children have access to knowledge of customs, traditions and ways of thinking that are different from their own. It also teaches tolerance and solidarity.